- 3 strips of beef short rib (fat trimmed)
- Short rib marinade
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (if desired)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups maize meal
- 2 tbsp salted margarine
- Salt to taste
- 1 can of chakalaka
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 white onion (finely chopped)
- 1 green chilli (chopped)
- For the pap add water into a large saucepan and bring to boil. Gradually add maize meal, stir vigorously and mash again.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, place the lid on and let the pap steam for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the lid and stir.
- If the pap is a bit too dry, add more water and stir again. Once the pap is cooked, let it cool then roll it out. Use a cookie cutter to form discs of any preferred size.
- Preheat oven at 180°C, grease the oven tray and place the pap discs inside it. Bake for 5 minutes and remove.
- Marinade short ribs in mixture and keep a little bit to coat short ribs later. On high heat, braise short ribs for 10-15 minutes, then add the rest of the marinade.
- Combine salsa ingredients into mixing bowl, set aside.
- Blend the can of chakalaka until it has a smooth/fine puree texture. Put on the side with the salsa.
- Serve and enjoy!