Get the Mzansi Flavour newsletter: A weekly serving of craveable recipes and handy lifestyle tips.
Beef stew and samp
- 2 kg stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 cubes beef stock
- 4 cups water
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tin of tomato paste
- 100 g Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of samp
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp Aromat
- 38 g mushroom soup
- ½ cup Cremora or Ellis Brown powdered milk
- 38 g creamy cheddar sauce
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 250 ml fresh cream
1. Wash the samp.
2. Once you have washed the samp, place in a bowl and leave to soak overnight. *Soak in 1L of cold water.
3. Cooking samp: Drain soaked samp and place in a pot.
4. Add enough boiling water to cover the samp.
5. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for two hours or until soft. Stir every 30 minutes. Add water when necessary.
6. In a bowl, add powdered milk, cream and mushroom soup and cheddar sauce with 100 ml of hot water and mix until it forms a paste. Once paste is formed, add another 150 ml of water. Add to your samp.
7. Add margarine and Aromat and stir.
8. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally until you get a creamy texture.
9. Serve hot and enjoy!
For beef stew:
1. Heat oil over medium heat. Brown the beef for 3 – 4 minutes on all sides.
2. Dissolve stock cubes in 500 g of water then pour over the beef.
3. Simmer for two hours.
4. Add onions, carrots, potatoes, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.
5. Simmer for 60 – 90 minutes on low heat until tender. Serve with samp and enjoy!