Karabo Phiri finds contentment when she is cooking. The 24-year-old runs the Cooking with Karabo catering company and also provides décor services. She says her ultimate goal is to grow her businesses and create more jobs for more people. Phiri knocked up a flavourful chicken neck recipe.
- 500g Chicken necks
- 1 whole white onion (finely sliced or chopped)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp chicken spice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs of flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups of water
- In a big pot, add the chicken necks.
- Pour about 2 cups of warm water and the spices and let it cook for 50-60 minutes.
- Once the water has reduced, add olive oil, onions and garlic and fry the onions and necks for about 5 minutes (or until brown).
- Add 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 cup milk and let it cook for 2-3 minutes (or until sauce has thickened)
- Add more milk or water if the sauce is too thick.
- Serve with mash potatoes or pap.