This easy stuffed chicken breast recipe is going to be your new family favourite. The mozzarella and cream cheese add mouthfuls of flavour to this recipe for spinach stuffed chicken and this whole recipe is super quick and easy to prepare.
Looking for a flavour packed weekend delight? South African home cook Busisiwe Mabusela Chita shares her recipe for a quick and easy stuffed chicken. Who says summer recipes are all lettuce and leaves when you can get creative with this simple yet tasty poultry dinner?
Get the Mzansi Flavour newsletter: A weekly serving of craveable recipes and handy lifestyle tips.
Spinach stuffed chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Seasoning mix (salt, black pepper, garlic powder and paprika)
- 4 tbsp cold block-style cream cheese
- Mayonnaise (it thickens the filling and helps it melt)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups spinach, freshly chopped
- 4 tbsp cheese (mozzarella and parmesan)
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, minced garlic and salt to prepare the filling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chopped spinach, shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Cut slits in the chicken – lay the chicken breast flat and use a sharp knife to cut a slit ¾ of the way through it.
- Fill a third of the mixture inside each chicken breast, encase the breast with bacon, then secure the sides with toothpicks.
- Place it in an oven-safe pan over medium heat, 4 minutes per side in olive oil, until chicken is browned.
- Transfer your hot pan to a preheated oven and bake at 200°C for around 10 to 15 minutes (depending on chicken thickness).
- Enjoy with summery salad of grilled butternut, grilled beetroot, fried mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and watercress that can be spread on the plate for garnish.