The 43-year-old Zama Mbane, affectionately known as Mfazana the Village Chef, is a private chef who cooks a variety of contemporary and traditional dishes. She hails from KwaZakhele in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape.
When cooking she says she always favours simplicity. “I am the type of chef that mostly uses salt, pepper and herbs to enhance the natural flavour. Some spices kill the natural taste of food.
“Naturally, meat has its own taste, if you mix it with certain spices, those spices will take over the natural taste of the meat. Whenever I cook, I am mindful of not taking away the natural flavour of food,” she says. Mfazana’s favourite dish is “lekker” fruity wings.
(Serves 4 portions)
- 300g baby marrow
- 300g carrots
- 300g strawberries
- 500g chicken wings
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Sauté baby marrow and carrots in a saucepan until soft and brownish.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add strawberries, fry until browned.
- Fry the chicken wings in a frying pan with 175ml of vegetable oil.
- When done, drain the oil and mix in a casserole dish with the vegetables and fruits.
- Mix vegetables and chicken. Enjoy!