Inspired by Hilary Joshua, this twist to lamb chops, a favourite South African meat cut, is sure to leave you craving more.
In this braised lamb chops recipe brought to you by Red Meat Industry Services (RMIS), Joshua explores the power of a creamy mushroom sauce and fresh ingredients to elevate the meat to new heights.
Whether you’re looking for a quick meal or a special occasion dish, Joshua suggests this recipe is a great option.
A lamb dish for any occasion
“My favourite lamb dish is braised lamb chops with a creamy mushroom sauce. This dish can be ‘dressed’ up for a fancy weekend night supper with hot veggies or a totally laid-back Saturday afternoon lunch with salads,” he says.
The creamy sauce complements the natural richness of the lamb, resulting in a dish that is truly satisfying and the tender meat, paired with mushroom sauce, is sure to impress anyone served or satisfy your own culinary desires.
Remember, salad and side options may vary, so don’t forget to pair them with your favourite side dishes, such as roasted potatoes, steamed vegetables, or a green salad to complete the meal.
Let the aromas waft through your kitchen
Joshua’s recipe also ensures that the aroma of the lamb chops braising in the mushroom sauce will fill your kitchen, creating an inviting atmosphere that will have everyone eagerly waiting for their plate.
So roll up your sleeves, gather your ingredients, and get ready to check out the recipe and explore the magic of braised lamb chops with creamy mushroom sauce.
This recipe was developed as part of the Red Meat Industry Services’ Beef and Lamb SA consumer education project. Red Meat Industry Services is an organisation dedicated to the growth and advancement of the red meat industry in South Africa.
Sign up for Mzansi Today: Your daily take on the news and happenings from the agriculture value chain.
BRAISED LAMB CHOPS WITH A CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE
- 500 – 600g lamb chops of your preference (leg chops were used)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups water/stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh cream
- ¼ cup fresh herbs, chopped (rosemary, thyme, parsley, chives)
1. Season the lamb chops with salt and pepper, and place in a large pan over
medium heat, searing them on both sides until they begin to brown.
2. Remove from pan, heat the olive oil and butter and sauté the onions until
translucent, then add mushrooms and minced garlic, cooking until well
combined and mushrooms are lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Deglaze the pan with white wine and loosen all the bits from the pan.
4. Stir in the flour, mustard, turmeric, salt and pepper and lemon juice.
5. Return lamb chops to the pan and add water or stock just enough to submerge
the lamb pieces. Make sure the sauce is well blended, then let mixture come to
6. Once it begins to boil, turn down the heat and simmer for about one hour on
low while covered until the sauce is reduced and the lamb chops are cooked
7. Add the cream and bring back to the boil. Garnish with freshly chopped herbs.
Serve with rice and seasonal vegetables or crusty bread and a fresh salad.