Vuyo Mayesa (40) makes this simple, fresh, cheesy classic relish with fresh basil picked from his own garden.
Ready within minutes, Vuyo’s flavourful pesto can be used as a dip, sauce or even a spread on a slice of toast!
Mayesa is a firm believer that the recipe should merely serve as a guide. Don’t be afraid to make it your own!
The bottom line? Pesto is an easy, simple, and fresh way to elevate any savoury veggie or meaty dish.
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic (roasted or fresh)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the basil leaves and pine nuts into the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times.
- Add the garlic and parmesan cheese and pulse several times more, then scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady, small stream.
TIP: Adding the olive oil slowly, while the processor is running, will help it emulsify and help keep the olive oil from separating.
4. Occasionally stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor.Stir in salt and ground black pepper, add more to taste. Add lemon and stir.
5. Toss with pasta for a quick sauce, drizzle over baked potatoes, or spread onto crackers or toasted slices of bread and ENJOY!