Looking for some good food to enjoy while you are watching your favourite sports game on TV? Bongani Motau, the owner of football-inspired kasi restaurant, La Liga, has the perfect recipe for a platter piled with delicious treats.
Motau is the owner of the award-winning Mpumalanga eatery La Liga, and shares his recipe for a meaty platter with Russians, wings and fish.
This platter is ideal for all seasons.
Winter times can get a little miserable. It gets dark early, temperatures drop tragically, and extra layers before you head out the door are non-negotiable. So why not stay in this weekend, turn up the electric blanket and snuggle up and eat with this feast of goodies?
In summer, you can make all the delicious meats and go on a picnic, or enjoy it with bread and other salad. It’s perfect for any occasion.
Grab a plate, snuggle up with a movie and cross your fingers that Eskom doesn’t have load shedding plans this weekend.
ALSO READ: From selling sweets to owning a kasi restaurant
Get the Mzansi Flavour newsletter: A weekly serving of craveable recipes and handy lifestyle tips.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Robot peppers
- French fries
- Barbecue pork ribs
- Fried hake fillet
- Russian kebabs
- Chicken wings
To make fries
- Begin by soaking the cut potato chips in a basin of water for around 30 minutes to extract the starch; this assures the crispiest results.
- Fry for five minutes and remove.
- Before frying for a second time let the chips cool down. Fry again until golden brown then blot with paper towel to remove excess oil.
Chef’s tip: Double-frying ensures a delicious crunch that will leave you wanting more.
Barbecue pork ribs
- Marinate defrosted ribs for around 45 minutes in beef spice, apple cider vinegar, paprika, and garlic powder. Then dip in barbecue sauce.
- Add cooking oil to a pan and fry the marinated ribs for 15 minutes, then transfer to a griller tray. Pour remaining marinade on top, cover with foil, and grill for 30 minutes.
Fried fillet hake
- Whisk two eggs per fillet, then add a teaspoon of fish seasoning. Keep a tray of flour separately.
- Place a pan with fish oil on a stove. Dip the hake in the egg mixture, then in flour, and deep-fry for ten minutes over a medium heat. Place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil, then serve.
- Vichy-slice the Russian and deep-fry for 5 minutes at a medium heat. Then place them on a chopstick, after which you can add pineapple slices.
- Cut the cucumber into slices and then in half, as well as the lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado robot peppers, and apples.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice and pour on top.
- Defrost, season with chicken seasoning, dip in an egg whisked with herb spices, then coat in flour on a tray, and deep-fry for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Put them in a paper towel until serving.