Get ahead of the January blues with a succulent budget friendly beef and cabbage stew shared by home cook, Thandi Boshomane (33).
Beef and cabbage stew is easy to make and great for a busy weeknight meal or just anytime you crave a delicious stew.
400g beef stew (beef short ribs)
2 tbsp of sunflower oil
1 large, chopped onion
1 tsp of six-gun grill seasoning
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of curry powder
1 tsp of smoked paprika
1 tsp of crushed garlic and ginger
1 chilli beef stock cube
1 and 1/2 cup of boiling water
Cabbage chopped (about 2 handfuls)
Salt and paper to taste
- Fry the short rib for about 5 min in a tbsp of oil over a medium to high heat.
- Remove the beef from the saucepan and set it aside.
- In the same saucepan add a tbsp of oil and chopped onion. Sauté on medium heat then add curry powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, six-gun seasoning, and garlic and ginger.
- Continue to sauté till onion are soft and all seasonings are well combined.
- Add the browned beef back in a saucepan and continue frying.
- In a bowl add beef stock and boiling water and stir until the cube is well dissolved and add to the beef stew.
- Cook on low heat for about 90 min.
- After 90 min add cabbage and continue cooking for another 30 min on low heat.
- After 30 min switch off the stove and let it simmer for 10 min.
- Serve with pap, samp, rice or dumpling and ENJOY!