Bone-in ribeye steak is always a delicious cut prized for its tenderness and flavour.
Foodie and photographer Dané Vermeulen shares her recipe for the juiciest lip-smacking braaied ribeye steak guaranteed to leave you begging for more.
She pairs this with a barley salad and the South African favorite, corn fritters.
- 1 rib-eye on the bone
- Ground coriander spice
- 5 cup barley
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Medium fresh garlic clove
- 1 feta wheel
- 1 celery stem and leaves
- 2 spring onion stems
- 1 green apple
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups sunflower oil (for frying)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 drained can of whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or to your taste)
- Spice the steak with salt, pepper, and ground coriander.
- Grill over the braai until your desired preference.
For barley salad:
- Cook barley and lentils in 2 cups of water, with salt, until soft. Add water if needed. When cooked, drain water and set aside to cool.
- When the barley and lentils have cooled to room temperature, chop the apple, red pepper and celery stem to bite sizes.
- Mix into the bowl of barley and lentils. Dice the spring onions and fresh garlic and add to the bowl.
- To make the vinaigrette, mix the olive oil, honey and fresh lemon juice in a small bowl. Beat lightly until mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roughly break the celery leaves into smaller pieces and remove the coriander leaves from the stem.
- Roughly crumb the feta into the bowl and add the celery and coriander leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients in the bowl. Lastly, pour the vinaigrette over the bowl and mix until all the ingredients are coated.
For corn fritters:
- Start by heating the oil in a deep-dish pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Beat together the egg, milk and melted butter and stir into the flour mixture until evenly mixed.
- Add corn kernels and mix it into the mixture.
- When the oil is heated, use a tablespoon to scoop the batter into the oil. Fry each fritter until golden.
- This mixture should yield 12 corn fritters.