Blockchain technology is helping to reshape farming practices by addressing numerous obstacles and increasing agricultural efficiency. Jon Trask, CEO at Dimitra, discusses how blockchain improves traceability in the agricultural supply chain, as well as the barriers to wider implementation of blockchain technology in agriculture throughout Africa.
According to Trask, the focus of blockchain technology in agriculture is to improve the farming experience. All of this is done through blockchain and artificial intelligence (AI) technology.
He gives us insight into the fundamental principles of blockchain technology and how it fits into crypto. He also shares the benefits of blockchain adoption.
Creating awareness for advances in agritech
“The most important thing to [farmers], what they’re trying to do, is they’re trying to share their information across the different pillars of business, and blockchain allows us to do that securely. So, we take certain pieces of data that are collected on the application,” Trask explains.
Dimitra, a leading blockchain-based enterprise system for AgTech driving productive, intelligent, and inclusive farming, works closely with farmers in Africa.
“We have several projects around the world. There’s a few in Africa, a number in Latin America and Asia, and even some in North America,” Trask explains.
He further notes that farmers worldwide are often not progressive from a technology perspective. About 30% or 40% of the farmers are comfortable using a mobile phone and the other 60% or 70% need training. So, technology awareness and the utility of technology are important, especially in this day and age.
In this episode, he also discusses:
- Challenges faced when it comes to blockchain;
- Evaluations and information recording; and
- How blockchain helps with management.
Want to know more? Listen to the full episode of Farmer’s Inside Track.
Sign up for Farmer’s Inside Track: Join our exclusive platform for new entrants into farming and agri-business, with newsletters and podcasts.