Thandi Maphai believes “we eat with our eyes first” and that appearance when cooking is everything. The young chef is always glammed up and she’s widely known by many in the culinary world as The Glam Chef.
Born in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape, Maphai started cooking when she was 13 years old. Today she runs a successful catering business and develops recipes for major food brands in Mzansi. Breakfast lovers, try The Glam Chef’s yummy flapjacks.
- 500 ml flour
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp butter, melted
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ tsp salt
- 250 ml milk
- Beat the eggs and gradually add the sugar.
- Add half of the milk and the melted butter to the egg mixture.
- Stir well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the egg mixture.
- Gradually stir in the remaining milk to form a smooth mixture.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into a greased heavy-bottom frying pan or into a griddle.
- Turn once the top is full of air bubbles (bottom should be golden brown) and cook on the other side.
Variations: Serve with whipped cream with a splash of vanilla essence and a dash of sugar. Top with blueberries or strawberries. Or, serve with crispy bacon and maple syrup.