Nothing beats a simple golden roast chicken on a Sunday! Chef Andrew Jordaan (49) has a no fuss recipe, and get this, you only need three ingredients.
The ingredients should do the talking when you prepare a meal, says the seasoned chef from Stellenbosch.
Make Jordaan’s easy, healthy three-ingredient roast chicken recipe.
1 x free range chicken
A bunch of fresh thyme, fresh from my herb garden
A generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C.
- The secret to my recipe is once you have rinsed your chicken, make sure you dry it properly.
- Season the chicken inside and on the outside generously with salt and black pepper. Place half the thyme inside the cavity. Truss (tie the chicken legs together) to make sure the chicken cooks evenly.
- Place the chicken in a dry roasting pan – no oil or butter.
- Place the roasting tray in a pre-heated oven for an hour and a half.
- The secret is to not touch it or baste it – just leave it to cook in its own juices.
- After 90 mins take it out of the oven and let it rest for 10 mins. Sprinkle with thyme and baste with the cooking juices.