Ran out of cooking ideas during the lockdown? Simply scroll down for three easy recipes! We tried out some beer-battered chicken wings, pap balls with corned meat and bread and butter pudding.
VKB Foods is ultimately a simple answer to a complicated strategic question that faced the VKB Group when we had to find a solution to take a commodity, produced on a farm, to the table of all consumers in South Africa, as economically as possible.
In order to fully optimise the process, we realised that one needs to own as much of the value chain from where the initial product is produced and acquired, through processing and manufacturing, to where it is ultimately presented to a satisfied consumer. This allowed us to have full control over the quality of the final product.
We embarked on a journey, and in the process also transformed the VKB Group from a proud agricultural co-operative into a dynamic agricultural enterprise fully integrated in the value chain, but more so, a house of exciting and leading brands that represented this strategic initiative.
Amongst these brands you will find Grain Field Chickens, Magnifisan and Super-Sure, all products of exceptional quality, offered at competitive prices through the VKB Foods outlets.
Grain Field Chickens, our flagship brand, represents an extended range of frozen and fresh products, from the farms of predominantly the Eastern Free State.
The Magnifisan products include, amongst others under this brand, Super Maize Meal which is produced by VKB Milling. Our Super-Sure products include white and brown bread, a confectionery range and flour, all produced by VKB Flour Mills.
In order to complete our vision, the very first VKB Foods store was opened in Sasolburg on 21 January 2016. With a fresh brand we took the market by storm, adding additional value to the range of renowned brands in our offering to ensure we can offer a complete package resulting in a unique shopping experience for our customers.
Another store in Bethlehem opened on the 26 November 2016. Three years down the line and we are continuing to expand by adding several VKB Foods stores in the Limpopo region and intend on opening more in the near future.
We look forward to seeing you at our VKB Foods stores where our highly motivated and inspired teams will be sure to look after your needs with a smile.
Spoil your family this Easter by using some of our products in the following recipes and feel how we can truly “bring home the taste” right from the farm to your plate.
Try out these three easy recipes
Beer-battered Grain Field Chickens chicken wings
- 1 large egg
- 190 ml beer or soda water
- 120 g SUPER-SURE cake flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 Grain Field Chickens chicken wings
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg slightly and slowly add in the beer or soda water and the remaining ingredients.
- Whisk until smooth and well blended.
- Cover and leave to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep pot and using tongs to hold the chicken wings, dip gently into the batter; allow excess to drip off and carefully lower one by one into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden, for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately.
Magnifisan pap balls filled with corned meat
- 1 litre water
- Pinch of salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) Magnifisan Super Maize Meal
- 100 g corned meat
- 50 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs using Super-Sure Bread
- To make the pap balls, bring the water and salt to a boil and slowly add the maize in a slow stream stirring with a fork to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Cover and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir with a wooden spoon and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes and leave to cool to a manageable temperature.
- For the filling, mix the corned meat and cheddar cheese together.
- Take a handful of pap and form a ball. With your thumb, push to make a hole big enough to fill with the corned meat mixture.
- Roll close and dip into the egg and then coat with the breadcrumbs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry the pap balls until golden and serve while still hot with sweet chilli sauce.
Super-Sure bread and butter pudding
- 55 grams butter (room temperature)
- 10 slices Super-Sure Soft White or Brown Bread, cut diagonally across into triangles
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Heat the oven to 180 °C. Grease a 1 litre dish with a little of the butter.
- Spread one side of each of the bread triangles with remaining butter.
- Cover the base of the dish with overlapping triangles of bread, butter-side up. Sprinkle half the raisins evenly over the bread, lightly sprinkle with a little nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Repeat this layer one more time or until the dish is filled, finishing with the raisins on top.
- In a saucepan, gently heat the milk and cream, but do not boil. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the vanilla essence until light and airy.
- Slowly pour the warm milk mixture over the eggs, whisking continuously, until all the milk is added.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread until all the liquid is added. Gently press the bread down into the liquid with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the surface and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Bake the pudding in the pre-heated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the surface is golden brown and the egg mixture is set. Serve hot and enjoy!