This delightful chocolate mousse tart prepared by Cape Town chef Davante Donjeany is sure to add a layer of indulgence to brace against the chilly weekend ahead. Who doesn’t love a little sweet treat every now and then?
Donjeany has just the treat for all the sweet tooths in Mzansi with this easy-to-make double chocolate mousse cake.
300 g chocolate cookies
150 g melted butter
400 g dark chocolate
75 g sugar
500 ml cream
6 g gelatin
200 g dark chocolate
200 ml cream
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Grease baking tin/tray.
3. Place cookies in a food processor and blend until fine crumb is formed.
4. Add melted butter and mix until wet and sandy in texture.
5. Place in the greased baking tray/tin and press down to form an even layer.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and then set aside.
For the mousse:
1. Gently melt chopped chocolate in a double boiler, or in a bowl inside a pot halfway filed with water over medium heat.
2. Place gelatin in cold water to bloom, set aside.
3. In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat eggs and sugar until thick, light, and fluffy. This should take 10 minutes.
4. Melt gelatin in a saucepan over low heat.
5. Fold the chocolate into the egg mixture.
6. Add melted gelatin, mix until well combined.
7. Fold in whipped cream.
For chocolate ganache:
1. Heat cream in a saucepan and pour over chocolate and mix until smooth.
2. Layer, mousse, set for four hours. Then glaze with ganache, serve and enjoy!