Metjie Shongwe worked as a bank teller and receptionist before she discovered her culinary potential. At 36 she runs her own catering and décor company. Shongwe has reached more than 100 000 people through her Facebook page Cooking with Metjie where she shares her favourite budget-friendly recipes. Here she shares another Mzansi favourite, tasty pork trotters.
- 500g pork trotters
- 15ml ground pepper
- 15ml borrie spice
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Half onion, chopped
- 15ml breyani masala
- 500ml water
- 45ml thick soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 60ml paprika
- 3 tbsp spring onion, finely chopped
- Cover trotters in cold water, salt and cook for 3 hours until tender.
- Add soy sauce, breyani masala, paprika, ground pepper, borrie spice, tomato paste, onion, spring onion, oil and ground pepper.
- Cook for further 20 minutes and enjoy!