Cooked until fall-apart tender, a good pot of oxtail is definitely a hit when you are craving something warm and comforting.
Innocent Makgwale (26) has just the recipe for you. Braised low and slow, Makgwale’s oxtail is just what you need to keep the winter blues at bay.
3 bay leaves
5 large carrots
6 cloves garlic
3 sprigs thyme
1 large onion
1.5l beef broth
3tsp browning sauce
2tbsp black paper
3tsp herbes de Provence (mixture of dried basil, thyme, oregano)
1 1/2tbsp red pepper flakes
2 1/2tbsp seasoning salt
3tsp olive oil
1. Trim the fat from the oxtails, then toss into large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
2. Sprinkle seasoning salt, herbs, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
3. Make sure that your oxtails are well coated with the oil and seasonings.
4. Grab a large, deep pot and place over medium high heat.
5. Add the oxtails into the hot pot and brown them.
6. Once the oxtails are browned, toss in the onions, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
7. Add cloves of garlic, bay leaves, and fresh thyme. Drizzle the browning sauce over the oxtails.
8. Pour 6 cups of beef broth, stir the ingredients, and reduce the heat to low medium.
9. Cover the pot and let the oxtails cook for 3 1/2 hours.
10. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add in the chopped carrots. Stir, then cover.
11. Enjoy with rice or mashed potatoes.