Spring is on the horizon, but Mzansi is still set for a cold weekend. So, warm up your belly as you enjoy a bowl of founder of the Fresh Corporation’s Abonga “Absie” Pantshwa’s lamb bredie served with samp and beans.
Nothing screams local like a bredie. Succulent lamb knuckles are stewed until they melt off the bone and the gravy itself made from a combination of locally produced tomatoes is equally packed with flavour.
Serves 4 people
1kg lamb knuckle
1 white onion
4 garlic cloves
4 sprigs of thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
1 cup red wine (optional)
300 g tomato puree
Salt to taste
- In a hot pan with some oil brown the lamb knuckles.
- Once brown all over, add the onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the crushed garlic cloves, thyme and rosemary.
- Allow to infuse for 5 minutes and deglaze with red wine if you’re using it.
- Once deglazed, add the tomato puree and cook on low heat for 2,5 hours or until tender.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with samp and beans. Enjoy!