Looking for a bit of a break from all those sugar-laden soft drinks and don’t want to cross a certain “top cop” during the #BoozeBan? (We see you, minister Bheki Cele.)
Our good friend, Rowan Leibbrandt, founding owner of alcohol industry disruptors Truman & Orange, has a little treat for Food For Mzansi fans.
Make non-alcoholic versions of timeless boozy favourites with Fluére and the locally produced non-alcoholic spirit Abstinence.
A point to clarify, though. “Non-alcoholic spirits are not meant to replace alcoholic drinks. Rather, they add diversity and more options, so that when you are not drinking you do not have to compromise on flavour or ingredients,” says Leibbrandt.
Hold steadfast, thirsty citizens of Mzansi. Here’s two simple ideas for you to add some sophistication to your drinks during this dry spell:
The Abstinence Negroni
- 50ml Abstinence Blood Orange Apéritif
- 50ml Abstinence Cape Spice or 50 ml Abstinence Cape Citrus
- Pinch of salt
- Combine Blood Orange Aperitif and Abstinence Spirit over ice in a cocktail beaker or tumbler.
- Add a small pinch of salt and stir well.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice cubes.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
- 60ml Fluére Original, Spiced Cane or Raspberry
- 30ml lemon juice
- 20 ml Simple syrup
- Soda water
- Pour all of the ingredients over ice cubes in a smooth Collins glass until it’s 3/4 full.
- Top it off with crushed ice.
- Garnish with lemon wedge and either maraschino cherries or a sprig of mint. ENJOY!