Poultry meat is undeniably one of the most cherished meats around the world. From head to toe people not only enjoy the outer, meaty bits of the chicken, but what’s inside too. Chicken livers are not only rich and delicious but easy on the pocket.
Home Cook Jabulile Dube gives us her version of creamy chicken livers served with toasted ciabatta roll slices. Served as a great entrée or main meal with pap, Dube’s creamy chicken livers will be a hot hit on your dinner table.
- 500g chicken livers (cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- ½ cup of cream
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp garlic
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tsp curry paste
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper
- Lightly season the liver in salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the liver to brown on each side on a high heat. (Browning the liver on high heat lets it grill quickly without cooking through).
- Set aside with all its juices, then in the same pan reduce the heat and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the stock cube, curry paste, and tomato paste to the pan.
- Add a little water (80 ml) to loosen the sauce if it’s too thick. Cook until the flavours are combined and the onions are cooked.
- Add the cream and livers back to the pan, and simmer on low heat.
I love to serve my livers with some chili and toasted bread, but this recipe can work with pap, rice or pasta. For a spicier version, you can add chili or chili flakes when cooking.
- Do not overcook the livers. That is why I brown them first and finish them off in the sauce.
- Do not add cream on high heat as it will curdle.
- You can substitute cream with plain yogurt.