Get real, Mzansi, even for a kitchen goddess cooking on busy weeknights and lazy weekends can be such a schlep.
Frozen, raw foods are no doubt the lifesaver for quick meal solutions, as those packets of frozen produce are fresher than you think.
Here’s a recipe for a quick and easy quiche made with frozen chips that is worth every second you save.
500g frozen crispy oven chips, oven baked as per pack instructions
60ml vegetable oil
300ml fresh cream or full cream milk
250g streaky bacon, roughly diced
60g sweet piquant peppers, finely sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
20g salted butter, for greasing quiche pan
60ml (40g) semolina
2 spring onion, finely sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C, grease a 25cm x 5cm quiche pan with butter and sprinkle with semolina to form a crust. On a lined baking tray, sprinkle the crispy oven chips with vegetable oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cream and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add the bacon into a cold pan. Turn to a medium heat and allow bacon to crisp. Heat through the piquant peppers.
- Layer the chips, bacon and piquant peppers into the prepared quiche pan and top with the egg mixture. Sprinkle the remaining semolina over the top and bake for 30-35 minutes at 170°C.
- Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Garnish with spring onions.