Saturday, August 22, 2026
SUBSCRIBE
22 GLOBAL MEDIA AWARDS
Food For Mzansi
  • News
  • Changemakers
  • Lifestyle
  • Farmer’s Inside Track
  • Food for Thought
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Changemakers
  • Lifestyle
  • Farmer’s Inside Track
  • Food for Thought
No Result
View All Result
Food For Mzansi
No Result
View All Result
in News

Govt. urged to finalise locust officer contracts

Minister Thoko Didiza has agreed to urgently meet with Agri SA regarding its concerns over a major locust outbreak in the upcoming summer

by Staff Reporter
29th October 2022
Agriculture, land reform and rural development minister Thoko Didiza has called on South Africans to report locust swarms in their areas without delay. Photos: Supplied/Food For Mzansi

In the early stages of the outbreak, agriculture, land reform and rural development minister Thoko Didiza has called on South Africans to report locusts in their areas without delay. Photos: Supplied/Food For Mzansi

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp

With renewed locust outbreaks already in full swing in three provinces, Agri SA predicts devastating swarms in the summer as locust eggs on infiltrated land begin to hatch.

This, says the agriculture giant, will lead to an even greater locust outbreak if no proactive measures are taken. Yields will be affected and the country may struggle to control the magnitude of the outbreak, says Andrea Campher, risk and disaster manager at Agri SA.

Outbreaks are currently underway in parts of the Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, and Western Cape. This, after more than 23 million hectares of land were affected by locust outbreaks during 2021 and 2022 – the worst outbreak in at least 25 years.

During this period, the land was infiltrated by locusts, suggesting another bad year for farmers in the coming growing period, says Campher. As much as 90% of the 23 million hectares of the infiltrated land is agricultural land. Unless urgent action is taken, 2023 could see even greater losses.

“With the above-normal rains expected this summer according to the South African Weather Service, we can expect devastating swarms in the 2022/2023 summer season as locust eggs on the infiltrated land hatch.

“Despite the magnitude of the threat facing the sector, timeous renewal of contracts of locust officers in the affected provinces did not take place which poses a risk to locust control operations.”

Agri SA has secured an urgent meeting with agriculture, land reform and rural development minister Thoko Didiza as well as director-general Mooketsa Ramasodi’s office to discuss government’s response to this looming disaster.

Among the issues under discussion will be the urgent issuing of locust officers’ contracts which have not been finalised, securing pesticide supplies and spraying equipment, the distribution of protective equipment for officers, training of new officers, and government’s capacity to finalise payment claims.

Agri SA believes it is necessary to address some of the challenges encountered in the previous financial year ahead of the anticipated worsening of locust outbreaks.

Previously, many of these issues were only addressed with the assistance of private sector funding to mitigate the impact of public sector shortcomings. However, Agri SA says on a positive note, Didiza’s department has revised the fuel tariffs since 2013 for this coming locust season which will ensure sustainable controlling operations for officers.

“Agri SA and its affiliates will continue to make every effort to ensure that farmers are protected from the worst effects of the outbreak, and to ensure that consumers experience minimal disruption to food supplies owing to the outbreak.”

ALSO READ: Funding turf war: Agri Enterprises to stay in its lane

Staff Reporter

Researched and written by our team of writers and editors.

Tags: Agri SAThoko Didiza
Nampo Cape expands women’s programme at Bredasdorp Park
News

Nampo Cape expands women’s programme at Bredasdorp Park

by Staff Reporter
20th August 2026

Nampo Cape 2026 presents an expanded Santam Agriculture Women’s Programme, bringing inspirational talks, live entertainment, and community spirit to Bredasdorp...

Read moreDetails

Bolder taste, local roots: Maggi revamps iconic chicken noodles

19th August 2026
Jabu Mphambo, acting CEO of Land Bank; Johann Kotzé, CEO of AgriSA; Dr Keith du Plessis, CEO of Casidra; and Jannie Strydom, CEO of Agri Western Cape. They will be among the exciting speakers at Food For Mzansi and Land Bank’s popular lunchtime conversations at Nampo Cape 2026. Photos: Supplied/Food For Mzansi

Plan your Nampo Cape around these lunchtime conversations

19th August 2026
Market first: How Tshepiso built Blessed and Beautiful Farms

Market first: How Tshepiso built Blessed and Beautiful Farms

19th August 2026
High dam levels offer temporary cushion as SA braces for El Niño

High dam levels offer temporary cushion as SA braces for El Niño

19th August 2026

Agri X Fusion unveils red meat collaboration summit in September

SADC experts urge smarter, more inclusive climate-smart tech

BFAP outlook: Declining prices, high costs test SA farming sector

Six niche farming opportunities SA farmers can explore

Smart energy puts Mzansi farms on a stronger footing

Join Food For Mzansi's WhatsApp channel for the latest updates!

JOIN NOW!
Next Post
Afasa’s recent three-day event was the ideal opportunity to contribute towards building a united voice for African farmers, says Afasa’s KwaZulu-Natal chairperson Mbongeni Sikhakhane. Photo: Supplied/Food For Mzansi

Afasa KZN distances itself from ‘spectacle’

THE NEW FACE OF SOUTH AFRICAN AGRICULTURE

With 21 global awards in the first six years of its existence, Food For Mzansi is much more than an agriculture publication. It is a movement, unashamedly saluting the unsung heroes of South African agriculture. We believe in the power of agriculture to promote nation building and social cohesion by telling stories that are often overlooked by broader society.

Practical management tips every SA livestock farmer must follow

Former nurse drives EC agroecology revolution in Ncera Village

15 000 jobs shed: Why the SA agri sector is feeling the pinch

Closing SA’s gender gap in commercial farming success

Trailblazers call for greater access, opportunity for women in agri

Smart energy puts Mzansi farms on a stronger footing

  • Awards & Global Impact
  • Our Story
  • Contact Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Copyright

Contact us
Office: +27 21 879 1824
News: info@foodformzansi.co.za
Advertising: sales@foodformzansi.co.za

Contact us
Office: +27 21 879 1824
News: info@foodformzansi.co.za
Advertising: sales@foodformzansi.co.za

  • Awards & Global Impact
  • Our Story
  • Contact Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Copyright

Chat Options

I'm Lerato, your AI assistant!
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Changemakers
  • Lifestyle
  • Farmer’s Inside Track
  • Food for Thought

Copyright © 2024 Food for Mzansi

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.