Nompilo Mathe might not be a chef by profession, but she’s known as the queen of the kitchen on social media. The 34-year-old is still trying to pursue a culinary qualification while she works as a shop assistant during the week and runs her own catering company on weekends. Mathe believes nothing beats loving what you do and that is what makes her food extra special, especially when preparing her scrumptious lemon butter fish, which is perfect served with savoury rice on the side.
· 4 hake fillets
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1 tsp onion powder
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· 1 tsp fish spice
· 3 tbs butter or margarine melted
· zest of 1 medium lemon
· zest of lemon juice
· 3 tbs oil
1. For the sauce, mix melted butter, lemon juice, lemon zest with salt and set aside.
2. If the fish is moist, dry it with a paper towel.
3. Mix paprika, onion, garlic and fish spice and season fish with the mixture.
4. Add oil to a pan and allow it to reach a high heat before putting the fish in the pan.
5. Fry for 2 minutes until fish feels somewhat firm in the centre and a bit brown. Turn around and fry the other side.
6. Lightly drizzle some of the butter sauce while still frying. Make sure you don’t overcook it.
7. When done, pour the rest of the sauce over the fish and enjoy with savoury rice or spinach and potato wedges.