Mzansi’s potato farmers ensure that we’ll never run out of potatoes, despite challenges such as climate change and political uncertainty. Potatoes SA shared this recipe for Potato and Aubergine (Eggplant) Pie as another delicious and healthy way of enjoying a South African favourite.
- 2 medium aubergines
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 400g tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 100g fresh basil
- 700g potatoes, peeled, boiled and sliced
- 200g white cheddar, grated
- 15g butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Slice the aubergines, sprinkle with salt and leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
- Pat the aubergine slices with kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- In a frying pan heat 60ml of the olive oil, fry the aubergine slices in batches and set aside. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add the coarsely chopped tomatoes and simmer for about 30 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Using kitchen scissors, snip the basil into small pieces and add to the tomato sauce.
- Butter a baking dish and arrange the potatoes, aubergine slices, cheddar cheese and tomato sauce in layers, finishing with the tomato sauce and cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 -30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a salad or roasted vegetables.
Note: Mozzarella cheese can be used instead of cheddar.