Imagine sinking your teeth into a mouthwatering patty, touched with a mixture of delicious flavours. Pure burger bliss…
Well, give it up for the beef smash burger, a culinary masterpiece that combines simplicity with an explosion of taste, delivering a burger experience that is both juicy and unforgettable.
This recipe is brought to you by Red Meat Industry Services (RMIS) as part of their Beef and Lamb SA consumer education project, and inspired by Caro Alberts, freelance stylist for Beef and Lamb South Africa.
Red Meat Industry Services is an organisation dedicated to the growth and advancement of the red meat industry in South Africa. Furthermore, the red meat sector which includes beef, mutton and lamb production, is also an important contributor to the South African agricultural sector.
Through strategic initiatives, and consumer education campaigns, RMIS aims to foster inclusivity, sustainable growth, and promote the consumption of high-quality beef and lamb products.
Lip-smacking and full of flavour
Have a go at this smash burger recipe that combines beef mince with a simple blend of spices, creating a juicy and delicious burger that is perfect for any occasion.
With a few simple steps and the right ingredients as provided by Alberts, you can create a restaurant-quality burger right in the comfort of your own kitchen and impress family and friends.
Grab your cooking utensils and give this unique beef smash burger a shot because it is sure to knock your socks off.
Sign up for Mzansi Today: Your daily take on the news and happenings from the agriculture value chain.
SMOKEY AIOLI SMASH BURGER
- 4 medium tortillas
- 500g beef mince (best quality you can afford)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-8 slices cheese
- 1 cup aioli (see recipe below)
- 1 small red onion pickled or fresh
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- 4 rashers bacon
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sunflower oil or ½ cup olive oil and ½ cup sunflower oil
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups sweet potato chips (prepare in the airfryer)
1. Divide the mince into 4, take each 1/4 and press out onto a tortilla leaving a 1cm border all along the edges. Season each tortilla well with salt and pepper.
Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan – the pan should be as hot as it can get before it starts smoking.
2. Cook the tacos one at a time – start with the meat side down. Place another pot onto the taco, so it is weighed down as it sears.
3. Cook for 4 minutes or so or until the meat has browned and created a nice crust. Now carefully flip the burger so the tortilla is heat side down.
4. Add the cheese and place a lid on it so the cheese can melt a little (don’t let the tortilla burn).
5. Now add all the other goodies like the aioli, tomato, bacon, avocado, etc. and
fold the tortilla in half to enjoy!
TO MAKE THE AIOLI
1. Carefully break the egg into a long thin vessel (that will fit the head of your stick blender).
2. Add the garlic, mustard, lemon juice, paprika and seasoning and carefully top up with the oil making sure the egg yolk doesn’t break.
3. Carefully immerse the stick blender – make sure the head lands with the yolk centred in the blade area.
Start blending slowly – you will hear the oil and egg
4. Pull the stick blender up slowly until you have a thick, glossy mayonnaise.
Season to taste.