Chef Nonjabulo Nzuza never considered a career in the culinary industry. She was dead set on becoming an electrical engineer, but dropped out when she discovered her calling in the kitchen. Today, the 34-year-old qualified chef runs her own coffee shop, Sweet & Savoury Café. Nzuza’s speciality is dessert and she’s known for her mouth-watering carrot cake.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 180° and grease a deep oven bowl, cake pan or 12 cup muffin tray with cooking spray.
- Mix sugar and oil while adding the eggs one at a time. Keep mixing until everything is well-blended.
- Add grated carrots.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together and add to the sugar mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- 250g butter or margarine
- cups of icing sugar
- 1 tub of cream cheese
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Sift icing sugar and gradually add it to the butter/margarine. Beat until it’s fluffy.
- Combine lemon essence, cinnamon powder and cream cheese. Don’t overmix.
- To ice the cake use a spatula or pipe with a nozzle and a piping bag for cupcakes.