Summer days are here. And that calls for fresher and lighter meals. Home cook Chuene Lefala (27) has just the meal for you and makes an easy chicken stir-fry recipe loaded with vegetables alongside a baked hake to fulfil your protein cravings.
If you are looking for a quick and easy dinner, I mean who isn’t? Stir-fry dinners are the best way to go. Protein, vegetables, everrrrything all in one pan. Ooh and who doesn’t love a fresh hake, it’s a national treasure.
Chicken veggie stir-fry served with oven baked hake:
For oven baked hake
° 3 medium-sized fresh and cleaned hake
° 1.5 tbsp fish spice
° 1 tbsp olive oil
For chicken veggie stir-fry:
° 1-2 large chicken breast cut into strips
° About 150g broccoli
° A handful of uncut green beans
° 1 medium-sized carrot peeled and chopped to your preference
° 1/2 a medium red onion, thinly sliced
° 1/4 of a large red pepper
° 1 tbsp olive for cooking
° Cooked spaghetti (1/2 cup) – optional addition
° 2 tsp chicken spice
° 1 tsp dried oregano
° 1/2 tsp dried basil
° 1 tsp smoked paprika
° 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Brush your hake with oil on both sides
- Rub in your spice
- Place in a greased baking tray or tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 100°c for about 30 minutes. Check periodically to make sure nothing burns.
- Season your chicken strips with the chicken spice, cover and let it chill for 10 minutes.
- Put your stove on medium high. Add oil to your non-stick pan. Put on the stove and let the oil heat up a little bit.
- Now add in your chicken and cook till its lightly browned and not fully cooked. Remove from heat and put in a separate bowl.
- In the same pan, add onions, your spices and herbs and fry for a minute or until they are translucent.
- Add stir-fry veggies and drizzle the Worcestershire sauce.
- Braise until veggies are cooked to your liking. NOTE: I like mine a little crisp with a taste of freshness. At this point you can either add salt or chicken spice for extra flavour.
- Then add back your chicken pieces along with spaghetti pieces. Mix properly and let it braise on low heat for about 3-5 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Meal is ready. Enjoy!
Cook’s tip: Serve your stir fry with your baked hake. Optional: garnish with sesame seeds and drizzle some garlic ginger sesame flavored soy sauce. Enjoy.