Food ambassador Khayakazi Kepe loved food before she knew she was good at it. Little did she know she’d build a career out of it, and she has big things coming with SPAR. For now, though, Kepe served us a delicious baked chicken liver pâté.
Ingredients (serves 6, prep 15 minutes, cooking 40 min)
- 2 cups chicken livers trimmed with sinew (tough tissue on liver) removed
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp minced shallots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken livers and eggs in a food processor, blend whilst adding cream slowly. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a large bowl. Sauté shallots with mushrooms in a little olive oil. Fold into chicken liver mixture. Add chives and truffle oil.
- Pour mixture into greased ramekins and place in a baking dish. Pour boiling water into baking dish till it reaches halfway up the sides of ramekins. Place in pre-heated oven at 180°C and cook for 25-30 min or until it is set.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with warm crusty bread or toasted bread fingers.