In 2016 Vanessa Dossi, a 28-year-old digital marketer and self-taught cook, turned her food blog into a lucrative business and she hasn’t looked back. It all started when a number of her blog followers convinced Dossi to start hosting cooking classes and cater for small events. Today she owns a catering business, Vanilla Scented Kisses. She has prepared a Mzansi favourite: slow cooked tripe.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 500g tripe
- 1 large onion
- 2 tsp brown onion soup powder
- 2 fresh chilies (optional)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Pinch of salt
Prep – 20 Minutes
- If your tripe isn’t already cleaned, clean it thoroughly (Or you’ll be chewing on sand)
- Cut up your tripe into bite sized pieces
Let’s Get Cooking – 6 Hours
- Place your tripe in a large pot and top the pot off with water. Bring to a boil at medium heat for 4 hours. Keep adding more water as it is cooking if needed.
- After the 4 hours, chop onions and add to the pot.
- Crumble your stock cube into the pot and add salt to taste. Allow this to cook another hour.
- Dilute the brown onion soup powder in some water and combine. Let it simmer until you have a thick gravy.
- Taste the tripe to see if it is tender and season with salt if needed.
- Serve with some chopped chili or your choice of starch and vegetables (pap, samp, pumpkin, creamed spinach, etc).