Geography educator and cook Koketso Khule uses VAT-Free items almost daily in his cooking. As a student he regularly used VAT-exempt products as they were easy on the pocket, he says. He enjoys experimenting with flavour and Khuking (cooking) is a passion project, which he aims on turning into an eatery in the future.
Mzansi favourite dish Umngqusho (samp and beans) is an easy, cost effective meal for the whole family and Khule shared his recipe:
Koketso Khule’s Samp and Beans
- 500g of samp
- Handful of kidney beans
- Handful of nuts of your choice (optional)
- Soak mixture of samp, beans and/or nuts in boiled water overnight.
- Drain the water the next morning and add freshly boiled water. Cook at a medium to high heat.
- Constantly check the softness of the samp and beans, add additional water if necessary and cook to desired softness.
- Add beef stock, soup, onions and chopped garlic before the water completely drained. Serve as is or with savoury sides and meat.
- Cook samp until water is drained without adding any other ingredients and serve with milk