Kamogelo Maleka started cooking at the tender age of 12. Today she is a second-year education student and owns a catering business. Maleka is always up for a challenge in the kitchen and this time around she’s tried out an authentic Mzansi recipe… mopane worms!
- 1 cup of mopane worms
- 3 tomatoes (2 cubed and 1 grated)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup of water
- Soak your worms in warm water for 3 hours. Drain the water and put them aside.
- Sauté the onion in a pan until soft and add 1 grated tomato and dice the other two.
- Add the sugar and salt and let it cook for five minutes on medium heat.
- Add your mopane worms, pour in 1/3 cup of water and close the lid.
- Let it simmer on medium heat until the gravy is nice and thick!
- Serve with pap or enjoy as a snack.